"Jon S. Berndt" wrote:

> > I don't see why moving the FCS out of JSBSim precludes your ability to
> > run the thing standalone.  You could maintain your own tree
> > independant of FlightGear as you do right now (or just keep it in the
> > JSB tree "next to" the FDM).  Alternatively, you could place it in
> > SimGear, which is designed as a library already.  There are lots of
> > options.
>
> There certainly are a lot of options, including the ones you specify above.
> My plan is to keep the proposed autopilot classes under the JSBSim base
> class structure and use already available JSBSim classes as building blocks.
> Certainly another option is for a separate autopilot code to be built
> completely apart from JSBSim (indeed this already exists), but I'd still
> want to build an autopilot for JSBSim - whether or not it even got used. The
> class structure, config file arrangement, etc. are all already there. The
> extra code an autopilot would use would be minimal. Also, FlightGear is not
> the only user of JSBSim, and I suspect an autopilot feature would be useful
> for them.

I know your need for the stand alone version.

An other option would be to move the FCS out of the JSBSim main class as
much as needed (I don't know the internals). Then have two header files
(perhaps + source files if necessary).
One gets included when JSBsim runs with FGFS; this hooks the FCS to the
property system as described in another mail.
The other gets included when JSBsim runs stand alone and hooks the FCS
directly to the JSBSim internals.

All of that (perhaps except the FGFS FCS header; dunno what's better)
still lives in the JSBsim CVS tree.

So JSBsim runs stand alone and has its FCS. But it also runs with FGFS
and provides a FCS for all FDMs.

CU,
Christian

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague

Whoever that is/was; (c) by Douglas Adams would have been better...