Martin Spott writes:
> From: Alex Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > It's also worth bearing in mind that
> > (a) FGFS is currently not taking advantage of some SGI hardware
> > features

Alex, what sgi hardware features are you referring to, and are these
available on any of the machines our developers have access to?

> Do you believe it might make sense to take these features into account for
> FlightGear ? I had the impression that by using several 'abstraction layers'
> like 'glut' and 'plib' there's not much room to take advantage of OpenGL
> specifics. Anyways, as my insight in FlightGear's 'mechanics' is limited I
> easily might be wrong.

For the most part glut and plib do not hinder you from using raw
opengl commands.  They don't necessarily provide an abstraction for
the fancy new card features and opengl extensions coming out, but they
don't get in the way of you writing raw opengl calls yourself.

> Anyway, even if someone optimizes FlightGear's use of unusual
> graphics hardware there will ever be the lack of CPU cycles, as even
> modern SGI Workstations run at moderate CPU speed. This gets pretty
> obvious when comparing frame rates of FlightGear running LaRCsim or
> JSBSim,

I'm still not sure what special graphics features sgi provides (that
something like a mid-hi level geforce card doesn't) that we'd be
interested in.