Alex Perry wrote:

>>Alex, what sgi hardware features are you referring to, and are these
>>available on any of the machines our developers have access to?
>>

>>I'm still not sure what special graphics features sgi provides (that
>>something like a mid-hi level geforce card doesn't) that we'd be
>>interested in.
>>

> I'm thinking of the video that is genlock capable, their graphics cards
> that can do true 3D textures, and the like.  Much of this was add-ons
> on the earlier machines.  My point of view is that those machines are

Although i agree with you here, someone has to make these 3D textures.
I have created some 2D textures and that was already quite difficult.

While I deffinately like to have some more SGI(Irix) developers over
here, if there are no 3D textures available for me to use it's likely i
don't spent time in useing them :-)

> physically installed in existing Sim settings, so if we want to be
> able to make inroads into those systems (and get to play with them)
> then we also have to be able to run (as best we can) on the unfeatured
> machines beforehand, to establish feasibility and get that access.

That's the exact reason I keep pushing to get FlightGear working on
Irix. I don't have a high-end machine but what works for me works also
on a mult-head onyx-3000 with 1024 processors ;-)

Erik