John Check writes:

 > > There's nothing wrong with realism, but since we're cheating in the
 > > direction of expediency in so many places already, maybe it makes
 > > sense to make the expedient mode the default one.  Maybe add a
 > > "--pedantic" switch, perhaps, to control the engnie start code for
 > > those who really want to do the engine start, and taxi, and runup,
 > > etc...
 >
 > --props:/sim/pedantic=true

I disagree.  We're not talking about pedantry (or realism) here, but
rather, the starting scenerio: on the runway with the engine running,
or parked with the engine off.  Since we don't have a generic way to
specify the parking location for every airport, it makes sense to
default to the former.

For 0.8.0, as John and Curt have suggested, it will be nice to have a
lot of canned startup scenarios (perhaps in an $FG_ROOT/Scenarios
directory), like the canned aircraft config files, and some of those
can start the plane parked with the engine off.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson