One of the original reasons for the preferences file (and heirarchy) is
exactly Christian's point.  Last time we had this discussion (or whatever
you want to call it 8-) the conclusion was that the aircraft should either
* Appear on the runway as though told to position-and-hold (which implies
  takeoff flaps setting, for example) and just waiting to apply power.
* Appear in a parking area.  For example, tiedown chains may be attached
  at that future time when we can simulate how an aircraft taxies like that.

Each situation should correspond to a clear breakpoint between pages of the
checklist.  For the former, the checklist is closed, and for the latter,
the pilot is just turning over from pre-takeoff to takeoff and (in the
presence of an instructor) reading ahead a little bit to engine failure grin.