Curtis L. Olson wrote:
 > Andy, your scheme sounds workable, but how does it flag/handle
 > rejected patches (i.e. the patches come relative to an older version
 > of the code and there are conflicts.)  This happens quite often
 > although the problem get's better and better as more people become
 > familiar with cvs.

It looks exactly like a CVS conflict (no, stronger: it *is* exactly the
same as a CVS conflict).  Handle it exactly like you would in that
situation.  If you really want a 3-way merge, then patch against a
clean CVS checkout (which is the only way to get a 3-way merge from
CVS in the event of a conflict, too).  I repeat my point: collisions
are Hard.  They require actual neuron action to figure out and deal
with; compared to this, a few seconds dealing with an extra CVS
checkout is trivial and kinda silly to argue about.  Patch makes the
easy stuff easy, and the hard stuff stays hard.  What's wrong with
that?

Honestly, it seems like patch is being held to a higher than
appropriate standard here.  Problems that are OK in other contexts are
suddenly a showstopper for patch?  And I'm being sneered at as a
card-punching dinosaur (by IDE jockeys who can't read man pages
because there isn't a toolbar button for that, thbbt!) to boot.

Again, patch has real advantages as a transfer format.  Folks would
have yelled at me had I posted three source files to the list, but no
one complained about the 8k patch.  The patch can still be applied
after changes in the archive, without losing those changes and without
using a GUI merge program*.  Just try it for a while.  You must have
spend several days learning emerge, a few hours giving the alternative
a whirl doesn't seem so bad.

* This is important for people coming late to the game, who still want
   to try out a new toy.  If you think it's hard for me to teach you
   one (1) patch invokation, try teaching someone emerge :)

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA