On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 13:13, James A. Treacy wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 08:00:49PM +0000, Jon Stockill wrote:
> >
> > Now, feet, inches, miles, furlongs, etc are another matter :-)
>
> Let's not go too far. Furlongs? Next you'll want us to start using
> stones. :)
>
> Actually, I'd like to see everything converted to metric in FG.
>
> I never had a problem with english units until I took thermodynamics.
> The prof would pose a question in one system and expect the answer
> in the other. That borders on torture. I wish that all engineering
> classes used metric only these days. Unfortunately, I'm sure it's not
> the case.

My experience would suggest that will be a long time coming in the U.S.
For a large number of manufacturers, the conversion to metric represents
a huge investment. While we as engineers/technical people know that the
metric system really is better and that such an investment will pay off
in the long run, its hard to get PHB's to see that.  And as long as
industry won't change, engineering schools will be hard pressed to not
teach Imperial/American units along with metric.

> --
> James (Jay) Treacy
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tony Peden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
We all know Linux is great ... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
-- attributed to Linus Torvalds