Robert Deters wrote:
 > Lets not forget that english units do work well when one stops using
 > pound-mass and uses slugs for mass (1 slug = 32.2 lb-mass).

True, if one actually uses slugs.  In practice, one doesn't.  What's
the unit for empty weight?  Fuel amounts?  Payload?  All pounds.  Find
me a reference that gives air density in slugs per cubic foot, or
pressure in pounds per square foot.  If you don't use the consistent
units consistently, having them isn't much help.  If you pick slugs
for mass, you should never see pounds.  If it's to be feet for length,
inches shouldn't exist, etc...

In a lot of ways, this is a rerun of my threading argument from a few
days ago.  You can't patch consistency (threadsafety) onto a unit
(software) system; it needs to have been designed in from the start.

That being said, I'm neutral on the idea of exporting SI units to the
property tree.  For most cases, it probably doesn't matter.  There are
some situations, though, where the panel needs to display a number
(using digits, as opposed to a needle) in some unit (EGT comes to mind
-- fahrenheit and kelvin) where the conversion is not simply a scaling
factor.  Doing the math in the panel XML is cumbersome and error prone
as opposed to just reading out "egt-degf" from the properties.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA