Jon S Berndt wrote:

> Metric isn't perfect either - it's been sort of perverted
> by ... I don't know who. In my mind, mass is in kg. and
> force is in Newtons.

That's correct.

> Unfortunately, metric mass terms are
> used to describe how much something "weighs", i.e. a
> force. This leads to almost as much confusion as
> converting between slugs, and pounds-mass, and
> pounds-force. What's that about!?!?

<posh>
Pah, you'll always have troubles as soon as commons are using that
stuff.
</posh>

The problem lies in the fact that the only time a human really cares
about mass is when he feels the gravity force. This is due to the fact
that we live on a planet where we've got everywhere the same gravity
acceleration (and the places were that's not true doesn't mater to Joe)

So the metrical system is actually correct in caring about the
difference between mass and force. That ordianary people don't know that
is not a fault of the metric system.

*I* think it's much more confusing to have pounds that stand for a mass
as well as a force. I can easily imagine cases where even professionals
can get it wrong (e.g. EOM on the moon)

CU,
Christian

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague

Whoever that is/was; (c) by Douglas Adams would have been better...