Michael Selig wrote:
> At 3/14/02, you wrote:
>
>> Just a quick note and question.  I've been able to get engine sound
>> for the different models except the UIUC models.  Specifically I've
>> been running the different versions of the Cessna 172.  JSB and
>> Larcsim both produce engine sound but UIUC doesn't.  I've looked at
>> the xml files and larcsim and UIUC both include the same sound files.
>> I'm wondering if I need to add something into the UIUC code for the
>> engine sound to work.
>

> Expanding on this question, we also don't know how to get control
> surface deflections pushed up the code (out of uiuc code and into Main
> or wherever) so that the deflections can be seen on the 3D models.  I
> have a feeling that the engine sound problem is similar ... that we are
> not pushing up the data through some .h file or something.
>
> In a nutshell, sounds worked for us w/ 0.7.8, but now not w/ 0.7.9 (10pre1).

I've rewritten the sound code to use XML configurable sound sets on a
per aircraft basis (look in FlightGear/Aircraft/c172/c172-sound.xml for
an example). This will allow different effects for pistone engine driven
and for turbine driven aeroplanes.

To get it working the UIUC code should populate the property tree with
at least the following properties (for a piston engine driven aeroplane):

starting/stoping the sounds:
---------------------------
/engines/engine/cranking
/engines/engine/running