David Megginson writes:
> Sure, but I'm also interested in getting FlightGear set up as a decent
> general-aviation FTD -- some of the stuff in the flight schools is
> ancient, and FTD's are way overpriced.

For what it's worth, I'm involved in a side project that is using
FlightGear + a commercial C172 flight dynamics model + cockpit
hardware to hopefully achieve an FAA (and JAR) certified sim by late
summer / early fall.  The commercial fdm will run as a seperate
program in order to avoid GPL issues, but building full featured
support for remote FDM's is a really good thing for us I think.

Imagine being able to run with the default "stable" JSBSim, or the
previous "stable" version, or the one you are currently hacking on,
just by restarting the desired fdm process.

The current state of this whole project is that we have *many* things
done, but we also have a pretty good sized todo list, some items
minor, some items fairly major.

The commercial C172 does a few things better than us (off the top of
my head):

- Engine/prop modeling is much closer I think.

- Startup sequence and rpm's during the crank are more realistic.

- Prop windmills properly in the air if engine off.

- It properly models left/right only magnetos.

- If you lean out engine in the air it sputters and coughs along which
  is pretty cool.

- Generally the flight modeling seems very plausible (and from my
  perspective perhaps just a bit better tweaked ... i.e. same effects,
  but the gains or magnitudes are tweaked a little better.)

And a few things that are worse:

- Ground handling is nothing to write home about.

- There is a severe proplem going to first notch of flaps.   Extreme
  pitch up.  You need *full* down trip to fly level with any flaps at
  all.

- Perhaps it is over agressive on climbs, but then again there could
  be weight and temperature issues which we haven't dug into yet.

These negative things will get addressed, but overall, I think the
JSBSim and YASim C172's are pretty comperable in quality with this
commercial code (which is already part of one FAA certified flight
sim.)

Regards,