Andy Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Camera (orientation only, no position change)
>  +-- Transform (move to terrain origin)
>  |    |
>  |    +-- Terrain
>  +-- Transform (move to model origin, orient to model frame)
>       +-- Aircraft Model
>
> I got started trying to figure out how to do this, but got a little
> lost.  Jim, you know this code a lot better than I do, how hard would
> that be to do?

I can see what you are saying...but the aircraft (in the cockpit view) is
actually a different scene graph.  Really I've got to get more into ssg to
understand how all this works better.  For some reason I seem to have an
easier time understanding the lower level opengl stuff now than plib (which
probably sounds backwards).

My first concern would be about the overhead of transforming the terrain each
frame (lots and lots of vertices).

If it can be done, I think my earlier suggestion of rendering the Cockpit with
no position offsets might work.  Can't we  render everything else and then
lastly set the camera to the pilot's nose ( ie with only the offset from
aircraft origin and no position offsets or orientation rotations applied).  In
other words just render it on top of the rest at 0,0,0 plus a little offset to
the pilot seat so the cockpit looks right?   Or is changing the camera like
that not allowed?  Note that if we did this we would still need to apply the
view offsets so you can pan view and look down at the ruder pedals properly.

Best,

Jim