Jim Wilson wrote:
> When the 3D model origin is set at the nose or cockpit, the aircraft
> is too far back on the runway at startup.  So far back that the main
> gear is not on the pavement.  It looks stupid.

Ah, now I think I understand what you mean.  I agree, the model
placement looks dumb.  But it's correctly dumb.  If we were modeling
off-runway ground handling, the aircraft would be bouncing (or
sinking!) because YASim really *does* think the aircraft is off the
runway.  Moving the model origin only fixes the problem on the screen.

The bug you are trying to fix is in the runway placement
initialization code, not the model geometry.  Right now it puts the
origin just barely past the threshold, which is fine for light planes
but not for jumbo jets.

Even if you were going to try to do the Right Thing, you would have to
deal with aircraft geometry.  Real aircraft pull onto the runway with
their nosegear on the taxi lines, and have to pull forward by
different amounts depending on their gear geometry.  Just moving the
aircraft origin will never be sufficient.

I agree, we need a per-aircraft runway startup offset (which would
basically be the length of the fuselage).  Alternatively, we could
pick the *tail* of the aircraft as the coordinate origin.  That would
behave correctly under these conditions.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA