David,

> The idea was that system.fgfsrc is system-wide, while .fgfsrc is
> per-user.  For Windows, perhaps we should look for fgfs.cfg in My
> Documents or wherever (is there any concept of separate user
> directories yet?).

Win XP and 2000 allow management of separate user directories under the
Documents and Settings path for saving specific settings and files, and you
can even login as a specific user. However, all this is less developed and
stringet compared to a Unix system. There is no unique direct equivalent of
a $HOME directory under Windows, though. Besides, older Windows variants
still in use don't have these directories.

Personally I've got most of my user's files just on a separate partition
(and all the FlightGear stuff on yet another partition and FS2002 on yet
another one and so on). From my POV the mechanism we had with just a single
system.fgfsrc in $FG_ROOT would be sufficient for most (all?) Windows users.
You still can allow and parse a .fgfsrc under $HOME for Unix users, though.

Regards, Michael

--
        Michael Basler, Jena, Germany
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]