Dear All,
oops, pardon moi ... RE:MSVC6 Update - continued ...

This i added, explicily, to fg_init.cxx
    // Next check the 'root' for a system.fgfsrc file
    if ( aircraft.empty() ) {
       // Check for $fg_root/system.fgfsrc
       SGPath config( globals->get_fg_root() );
       config.append( "system.fgfsrc" );
       aircraft = fgScanForOption( "--aircraft=", config.str() );
    }
in the fgInitFGAircraft() service ...

As i intimated in a README.msvc6 i sent to Curt, there seems
some BIG DIFFERENCE in environment variables. The CygWin
'attempts' to re-create the unix 'needed' environment variables,
and thus MSVC? user are quite perplexed. What is THIS?

Look, if when the 'system' loads, there is a thing called "ABC"
created in the runtime environment, great. But in windows we
have 'some' control on this. There is NO automatic $(HOME)
thingy, unless (perhaps?) you are in the WINNT stream? Or
you REALLY want it created!

This 'dependance' on some RUNTIME creation has always
irked me. If you want an runtime application to 'see' something,
tell it, NOT the 'world', what you want. That is each user will
'run' the application with the information it requires, including
what folders to look in ... there are NO 'global' folders ... for
me, anyway ...

To say suggest "My Documents", instead of "Mes
Documents", is to not yet grasped the complexity of 'who-am-
i" combined with 'where-am-i', it is just too big ... language -
pah!

It really seems sufficient that there is ONE 'system' file that
fgfs loads, if it exists, and that is good. What are we missing?

Thus -
>> We were planning to drop system.fgfsrc -- I thought
>>  we already had, ..
flies directly in the face of this. What is FGFS doing?

Hope this helps ...

Geoff.

PS: Curt, did you not get my README.msvc6? Or you do
not feel it should be in the CVS just yet?

pps:
Dear David,

>Oh, I see.  In Unix, we have (or had) two files:
>  system.fgfsrc in $FG_ROOT
>  .fgfsrc in $HOME
> The idea was that system.fgfsrc is system-wide, while .fgfsrc is
> per-user.  For Windows, perhaps we should look for fgfs.cfg in My
> Documents or wherever (is there any concept of separate user
> directories yet?).

Yes, windows, or as sometimes written with an embedded '$' sign,
has or has NOT 'separate user space'. In my single home system,
i reduce all this user stuff to me - i am the user - no one else ...
in the NT vain, they make it 'important', but it can still be reduced.

That means $(HOME) has to end "<home>system" for ".fgfsrc"
to work, or in windows use %HOME%, but i digress ...

g.