David Megginson wrote:
> 1. Put the X axis origin at the published weight-and-balance reference
>    datum.
> 2. Put the Y axis origin at the centreline of the plane.
> 3. Put the Z axis origin [where? the ground?].

I'll just state my opinion again, and then keep my head down until
someone tells me where to move the origin. :)

Whatever convention we pick should be an easily explainable and
identifiable from the *shape* of the airframe only.  Not everyone has
a POH handy, very few people have W&B or C.G. numbers, and even things
like the centerline are subject to argument on some aircraft.
Referencing the ground plane is especially bad, since the gear are
going to compress differently depending on load.

Remember that many/most 3D model authors aren't particularly
interested in aerodynamics, and may very well be working from
photographs and 3-views only.  Forcing these people to look up a
reference datum from an unfamiliar source is only going to discourage
them.

I continue to like "the origin is at the tip of the nose".  You'd have
to look really, really hard to find an aircraft without an
identifiable nose.  And finding an aircraft author who doesn't
understand the concept is literally impossible.

And, quite honestly, what's the actual advantage to using a reference
datum anyway?  No one does weight and balance calculations in
Blender. :)

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA