On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:34:07 -0500,
"Dennis B. D'Annunzio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> >..would an external flight model be easier for you?
> >It can then network with FlightGear both from the same box
> >and from another.
> >
> I bet it would be easier.  That is how our system works now.  We start
> the flight model simulator which has an embedded vehicle state server.

..heh, I agree.  :-)

> Then, the 3D renderer and the ground station connect to the flight
> model state server.  The 3D renderer simply listens to the vehicle
> state and renders a couple differnet points of view (vehicle,
> groundstation, etc.).  The groundstation listens to state to display
> the AI and guages and then sends actuator commands to the simulator
> from the joystick (manual control) or from the guidance program.

..what sort of video is this?  SVGA or VESA etc type framebuffers???

> Are there any external flight models currently implement for
> reference?  I see the src/FDM/* and src/Network/*_fdm.* as a starting
> point.

..yes, grep thru the docs and this list for  "--fdm=external".  The
most recent message is <03b901c2c56f$dda62490$dd36ba8c@sfdev3> by
Norman, who on Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:19:32 -0500 wrote:

| Otherwise you need to run a slaved version of FGFS on the computer(s)
|  driving the other monitor(s) and adjust the view(s) accordingly
|
|  from -- Readme.io
|
|  Socket Communication:
|
|      --native=socket,dir,hz,machine,port,style
|
|      machine = machine name or ip address if client (leave empty if
|      server) port = port, leave empty to let system choose
|      style = tcp or udp
|
|      example to slave one copy of fgfs to another
|
|      fgfs1:  --native=socket,out,30,fgfs2,5500,udp
|      fgfs2:  --native=socket,in,30,,5500,udp --fdm=external
|
|      This instructs the first copy of fgfs to send UDP packets in the
|      native format to a machine called fgfs2 on port 5500.
|
|      The second copy of fgfs will accept UDP packets (from anywhere)
|      on port 5500.  Note the additional --fdm=external option.  This
|      tells the second copy of fgfs to not run the normal flight model,
|      but instead set the FDM values based on an external source (the
|      network in this case.)
|

> Our video is minimal - just a helicopter in a flat endless world.

..will do fine fine me as a start, my hardware gave me 7 frames
per minute  ;-)  last time I tried FG, ATI Mach64 video.  Since then,
the DRI guys has reportedly done some nice work over at dri.sf.net,
while I've been drowning in work for my 802.11 isp client.

> http://cvs.sf.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/autopilot/sim/src/heli-3d/

..thanks, Dennis.  Can this be coerced into showing terrain, or
does it need its own terrain?  http://decopter.sourceforge.net/
uses a funny way of generating terrain, from a texture, but it
needs OpenGL.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: