Curtis L. Olson wrote:
Roman Grigoriev writes:

Curtis,
Could you please test clouds3d on CVS flightgear
I've searched all strings in flightgear and they are defined by
FG_USE_CLOUDS3D so I define this macro and all compiled fine
so clouds3d loaded and rendered but here is a problem:
I've got white flickering when 3dcloud in view frustrum
I read about this problem in list at semtember-october 2002 but can't
remember solution how to solve this
maybe its because 3dpanels with transparency

There are a lot of issues with the 3d clouds.  Essentially they use
their own home grown scene graph which doesn't really play nice with
plib.  We spent a lot of time trying to hack around this and spent a
lot of time answering a myriad of end user questions from people who
were having a wide variety of problems with the code.

I've have the email filter set on super-high, but some things (like 3Dclouds)
are sent through.

The code was released knowing it was not ready-for-prime-time and it had a ton of problems. (time and space preclude listing them) It was a port of Mark's code and a kluged FG interface but it did provide a good demonstration of the strong visual impact such a feature would add. I was somewhat reticent, but Curtis felt others might step up and help out and they did. But until it gets incorporated into the basic FG scene graph, it's probably best NOT to spend more time and effort hacking around. OTH you might want to look at Mark's website

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~harrism/SkyWorks/

to gain some insight in how 3dclouds work.

Hopefully, later this year I'll have the time to get back on the project and with a little help from my friends we'll get it right.
Best guess is sometime in June...

Gotta go...

Regards
John W.