Jon Stockill writes:

 > > wouldn't necessarily bother placing it at all rendered airports,
 > > but rather just calculate the placement for the airport you are
 > > taking off from, at the same time the take off position and tower
 > > positions are calculated.
 >
 > Surely it makes sense to have them at *all* fields? As the weather
 > subsystem improves eventually you'll not be flying in the same weather all
 > the time (especially if fg is running from live metar data), so the sock
 > will give you an idea of which runway you should be using. (Unless you
 > really like landing with lots of crosswind of course :-)

I had assumed that Jim meant the airport you were taking off from and
any airport you get close enough to to see the windsock.  The windsock
is, if anything, more important for landing than for taking off (since
you are not on the ground to feel the wind before you land).

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/