David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm sure that it went fine.  In Canada, even for the instrument
> rating, you have to hold enroute altitude only +/-100 feet (with extra
> allowance for significant turbulence), though most people try to keep
> it much tighter.  For the private pilot's license, I think that the
> tolerance is +/- 200 feet, but I'll have to check.  I'm not saying
> that you shouldn't try to hold +/- 10 feet for VFR or IFR, [...]

I found it not to be too difficult. I consider the yoke of a C172 as the
major hurdle: You push it but you get only miminal feedback if it really
moves of if it's just you wrist that is twisting a few millimeters. I'll try
to have plane with stick the next time so I get a feeling for the
difference.
I sat in a C172 and other planes many times - standing still on the ground.
I have the impression the yoke of a C172 is not optimal when you want to
realize only small evelator movement. What about your Piper ? They have the
same one at the flight school.

Still it's embarassing how easy it is to hold the altitude within +/- 20
feet even in a bit 'bumpy' air when you look at the horizon. Every time I
looked at the altimeter for more than a few seconds I started flying
waveform. After returning to the view out of the screen I managed to
stabilize altitute within 5 seconds or so.

> For 'playground', we say 'practice area' in North America.  Wie sagt
> man's auf Deutsch?

Oh', I'm shure there is an appropriate translation for 'practice area' in
German, but I consider the word 'playground' as well chosen:
Nobody out there (except the Tornado's) and lots of space to to everything
you like  :-)  Just like a 'Spielplatz'. You're aiming at 'Übungsgelände'.

> Steep turns and stalls in an intro flight?  By gawd!  Did you ask for
> all that especially, or is it standard?

I don't think there's a standard. I've been doing a little bit with model
airplanes and a helicopter during school and I've got a bit of practice with
FlightGear (!!!!). So I made an agreement with the instructor to do those
things he feels safe with me controlling the plane and do avoid those he
does not agree on. Simple as that  :-)
In 'real' live the instructor is CEO as a small (12 people) software
company. He's running the flight school in his spare time. He's doing this
for fun only, not to make money - I consider this as a great deal !

> Forgetting that simple rule probably cost me at least a few hundred $$
> in extra lessons.  That's why I wrote this (in case anyone hasn't seen
> it already):

>   http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/Tutorials/circuit/

Oh, I've read this several times. Still it makes quite a big difference
reading a tutorial and remembering the contents of the tutorial while you
are in air  :-)

Thanks,
        Martin.