Hi,

I just wanted to float an idea on the list and see if anyone had any
comments.  This isn't an official proposal and I'm not chomping at the
bit to make a change.  It's just an idea I find interesting to think
about and I'd like to get some sort of feedback/comments if any one
has any.

plib/ssg has served us well and when we jumped on board the plib
bandwagon, it was the best thing available in terms of performance,
robustness, stability, features, etc.

However, in the last couple years, the scene graph portion of plib has
developed very slowly; meanwhile projects like "Open Scene Graph"
(http://openscenegraph.org/) and "OpenSG" (http://www.opensg.org) seem
to be roaring ahead with support for many of the newer graphics tricks
and effects.

I'm even talking about "simple" things like "multitexturing" which
isn't exactly a new concept (i.e. it's been supported by
hardware/opengl since the voodoo-1 days.)  Plib unfortunatley has no
support for multitexturing.  These other scene graphs do, and also
support things like "imposters" which is the technique often used for
3d clouds.

At the risk of tainting the discussion I will say that from my
investigation, "Open Scene Graph" seems to be the better choice.
There are people here locally that use it, and I know that other
flightgear developers have used it as well.  It seems to support all
the platforms that we currently support.  No one I've talked to seems
to know much about OpenSG and the one web link I found
(http://sgi.felk.cvut.cz/~pavlicm/Dipl/sw.htm) seems to put Open Scene
Graph ahead in terms of performance (based on a single test which
doesn't say too much actually.)

It would probably be a large job to convert everything in
simgear/flightgear over to use a new scene graph, but it may give us
many more options for moving forward with new and better graphic
effects.  There will certainly be ramifications that we won't discover
until it's too late to go back.

One proposal I've heard has been to try to build a "scene graph
independent" layer (i.e. our own generic scene graph API that could
translate calls into any of the actual scene graph api's, but I'd like
to avoid that based on performance concerns and also the point here is
not to write to the lowest common denominator, we want to be able to
push forward with newer graphic effects.)

Any other thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org