Lee Elliott writes:
> What native object formats would be supported?  If we stuck with the .ac
> object format then we're going to be limited to one texture per object
> anyway.

Lee,

I don't think either OSG nor OpenSG support the .ac format.  However,
it shouldn't be that hard to write a plib based converter to a format
that one of these does support.

The AC format also seems to have significant short comings in terms of
calculating vertex normals (look closely at the shading of the control
surfaces on most .ac format models to see how bad this is.)

> I'd like to switch to a more versatile object format but that's going to
> require new modelling/texturing s/w and the skills to use them.
>
> I don't think this will be a show stopper but it's going to take some time to
> transition, especially if the models needs to be converted.

Yup, another option would be to write a .ac loader if we do
switch... that might be pretty doable since the .ac format is fairly
simple.

Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org