On Tuesday 05 August 2003 00:12, Jim Wilson wrote:
> "Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > Lee Elliott writes:
> > > I've noticed this effect too, on the 2d clouds.  I think it's an
ordering
> > > issue.  When I use transparent objects/textures in a model I have to be
> > > careful of it's position in the object list - basically, every object
that
> > > comes after a transparent object is invisible when viewed through the
> > > transparent object.  With the 2d clouds it's as though they are coming
after
> > > the prop disk, in the object order, and so are invisible when seen
through
> > > it.
> >
> > I think we should be drawing the 3d model of the aircraft last, after
> > the sky, terrain, and clouds.
>
> Actually the model objects are sorted so that the transparencies are last so
> that they are higher on the stack and get rendered *first*.  Blending
requires
> the foreground alpha object to be known first,  which makes perfect sense if
> you think about it.
>
> Someone might want to research the archives, on previous discussion of what
> happens to the terrain and the model if you render the sky at a different
point.

> Norm's idea may be the only solution that could eliminate the tradeoffs in
the
> current approach.  One possibility might be to somehow tag transparent model
> objects in xml (or ac3d object data) so that they can be moved after (or
> during) a load.  Then you could put the clouds into the transparent
scenegraph
> along with the transparent object parts, and everything else can go into the
> other scenegraph.  This would also be helpful to modelers who can at times
> face complex difficulties with manually sorting objects.
>
> Yet another thing that suggests an writing ac3d loader customized for
simgear.

> Best,
>
> Jim

It's a tricky one.  If fgfs rendered the a/c after everything else it wouldn't
work with the nice new clouds.  I think there could be a problem with tagging
transparent objects  - most side/cabin windows on the large a/c are going to
be done in the texture map via alpha/transparency against the hull paint
scheme - not only is cutting out the individual windows a lot of work, it
also tends to spoils the smoothing of the object, because of the uneven
concentration of vertices, and also increases the poly count.

Is an a/c model treated separately from the 'scene' or is it dissembled into
it's component sub-objects, which are then z-buffered along with the rest of
the scene polys?

LeeE