Martin Spott wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

We could use the edonky network for sharing the scenery and other flightgear
relevant files. This would reduce the traffic of the official ftp mirror
servers because users could download those files from each other
via the edonkey network.

Currently I'm okay with the load - I have the impression that FG users
don't like mirrors: FG related traffic is only a few percent of the
overall traffic on my server. Perhaps this would change if there was a
download map for the Scenery or a round robin scheduler on the main FG
site (I kept the FTP layout identical to the main site).

I don't know anything about edonkey so I'd need advice for that. BTW I
started taking lessons for the PPL so I'd like to avoid diving into too
many new areas on my own ....

Martin.

hm, I use xMule in Linux and didn't have much success (although I managed to download some films and cd albums). The problem was mainly because I had LOWID (I still claim to have 4661/4662 ports opened on both UDP/TCP though, but Donkey obviously doesn't) and therefore everything moved so damn slowly. Secondly, xMule ate a lot of my CPU (so does Kazaa, eDonkey, Morpheus in Windows). Thirdly, many chunks got lost in my cases, saying bad hash and then needed to be redownloaded again, which again, ate some bandwith.
In my opinion, ordanary wget on number of mirrors is still the best option.

- Matevz