Martin Spott writes:

 > Lee Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >
 > > Sorry this is OT but there isn't anyone else who'd really understand.
 >
 > Still worth reading.

Absolutely.  I missed the original posting, so I had to yank it out of
the archives:

  http://baron.flightgear.org/pipermail/flightgear-devel/2003-October/022083.html

It was an interesting narrative, thanks.

 > Most noticable difference - my seat here at home doesn't move.  You
 > don't feel the lift and sink through your backside:) Or the gusts
 > and turbulence...

Turbulence sucks: when I'm flying, I usually try to climb out above
it.  Turbulence often means thermals and updrafts, though, so I
imagine that soaring types actually go looking for it.  The gusts
disappear usually a few hundred feet above the ground.  The turbulence
disappears anywhere between 1,000 and 10,000 feet above the ground,
depending on all kinds of factors.

The faster you go, the less you feel the gusts and turbulence.  In a
slow glider, I imagine that the effects are very pronounced.

 > Most disconcerting difference - there was little sense of forward
 > motion so when in moderate bank it felt more like we were tipping
 > over rather than turning.  In steeper banks there was a bit of G
 > and it actually felt a bit more secure.

If you felt any sideways pull, then the turns were not coordinated.
Slipping turns are good ways to lose altitude, and I'd guess that
soaring pilots use them quite a bit to get down to the field.

 > Approach and landing was not what I'd expect either - stick out the
 > airbrakes while still several hundred feet in the air and then dive
 > down to the ground, level off and flair.

Sadly, there are powered-plane pilots who try to do the same thing,
even through flaps aren't exactly air brakes.

 > Sorry this is OT but there isn't anyone else who'd really
 > understand.

On the contrary, it was an excellent posting.

All the best,

David