On Friday 14 November 2003 23:50, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> Today I had a chance to see a driving sim located at KMSP.  They use
> it to train drivers for driving around on the airport grounds
> (taxiways, runways, service roads, tunnels, etc.)  The really
> interesting thing about this sim is they had a beautifully done model
> of the airport.  Every light, every sign, every painted line, every
> building, probably every tree and squirrel was modeled and placed
> accurately.  You got a very good sense of being at the actual airport
> without having to rely on memory/imagination.
>
> They said they started with cad drawings of the airport and then
> someone came out and took about 3000 digital pictures of everything.
> It took them over a year to complete the modeling.
>
> Supposedly they have about $1.5 million into it in terms of equipment
> and labor.  Aside from the beautiful modeling job, they had a real
> fire truck cab to sit in, and a 3 projector 180 degree cylindrical
> visual system.  They had one windows machine to interface with the cab
> hardware, but other than that, everything was running linux on
> commodity PC's.  Pretty nifty system ...
>
> Curt.
> --
> Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
> Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
> Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://
www.flightgear.org

Interesting.

It's something I think about whenever I start a model - what can I see &
what do I include?

In many respects, the finer into the detail you go, the easier it becomes
to model.  However, the longer it takes to complete the scene, as a
consequence.

I think it's because the more you break something down, the easier the
individual parts become to identify and model, but you then need a lot
more parts to complete the picture, so it can take longer.

LeeE