On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:59:51AM -0800, Andy Ross wrote:
> Alan King wrote:
> > A keyboard can be interrogated.  A mouse outputs constant data
> > and/or can be interrogated.  A standard joystick does..  nothing.
>
> A standard joystick* looks like an HID device, just like a mouse or
[...]
> [* i.e. a USB one, like the ones you buy in stores these days and like

A standard joystick port, old analog PC style (those that use the
ns558.o) can also detect the number of axes connected, but not the
number of buttons. It works by charging a capacitor through a resistor
(RC circuit) and couting the time it takes.
That time is dependent on the resistor, which in this case would be the
potentiometer inside the connected joystick.
If no joystick is present, the capacitor will never load, and this is
what the software uses to determine whether a joystick is present.
(this has given me some headaches with my homebuilt yoke... i had a
loose wire so the driver never loaded :(  :)))

Regards,
Manuel