Alan King writes:
>    Yes it is.  But the control feedback in the simulator EXACTLY
> matching real life is not critical.  For that matter a Cessna rudder
> probably doesn't exactly match a P-51 rudder either, but I have no
> doubts that learning rudder on said Cessna prepares you for 80 or 90
> percent of how to use a P-51 rudder.  Exact matches aren't critical,
> simply having some feedback and learning that you must pay attention to
> the feedback and develop a feel for what is right for a particular plane
> is most of it.  With the sim plane being a bit different from the real
> plane, you're simply learning two different planes.  It's still quite
> useful to have the basic feedback even if it's not exact.
>
>    And I'm not aware of any even $10 mil simulators that are more than
> approximately real, even with a driven motor proper G forces have a
> noticable effect on your legs, yet are incompletely modeled.  There's
> only so much you can effectively do without getting in a real plane, I'm
> just going for the basic 80 percent of it and leaving the other 5 or 10
> percent that could possibly be done on the ground alone.  It should
> still be quite effective for the cost.

The FAA defines tolerances that a sim builder needs to meet in order
to be certified.  Control forces are something they definitely pay
attention to.  Rudder force for some manuever might need to be within
5 lbs of the real thing for instance.  But if it takes 4 lbs of force
in the real airplane, that leaves you a bit of latitude.

Regards,

Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://www.flightgear.org