"Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I do look out for drivers _before_ I buy a card for my or my customers'
>> PeeCee (currently I don't even own a PC  ;-)
>
> Is it sgi machines that you run on?

It became sort of a hobby to collect used Unix workstations. I have an
Octane with MXI graphics and TRAM as workplace at home, but this
machine (only 195 MHz) turned out not being able to keep up with recent
development. Its CPU is simply too slow and can't cope with all the
trees and buildings.
I still wonder why this brings the machine to its knees because there
are a lot of applications out there, displaying fancy stuff on such a
machine at reasonable frame rates. Maybe these applications'
characteristics are not comparable to flight simulation and the
software probaböy is specifically optimized for SGI's graphics subsystem.

I also have a HP Visualize C240 (donation from a customer) but this one
also has only 200 MHz CPU cycle. I have an RS6k with 200 MHz (per CPU,
eight of them) which won't serve, the SPARC has only 90 MHz (maximum,
depending on what CPU set I put into it). The old Motorola based
machines will be _waaay_ too slow.

I have e workplace at a customer's location with a PC where I plugged
my own graphics card which serves as temporary FlightGear testbed,

Martin.