On Sunday 28 December 2003 20:44, Paul Surgeon wrote:
> Has anyone seen the video of how clouds are made and rendered in FS2004?
>
> I found it quite interesting and think it's a smart way of rendering clouds
> without too much of a frame rate hit.
> Particle systems normally consume too much video processing although they
> do look and behave better.
>
> The video can be found here :
> http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/downloads/video/clouds_highb
>and.asx
>
> Paul

See here:

http://mail.flightgear.org/pipermail/flightgear-devel/2003-July/019036.html

And the answers:
http://mail.flightgear.org/pipermail/flightgear-devel/2003-July/019038.html

I bought FS2004 two weeks ago and tested it on my computer.
I think those clouds are not so impressive when seeing them when animated.
Though they look good at still images.

Personaly i think the 3dclouds in flightgear look much better,
but they still need  a lot of polish so that they are able to display
different kinds of weather conditions like light and dark clouds
and different types of clouds.

This needs a lot of time consuming work
and when they are finished we will allready have machines
that can handle that kind of Particle systems a lot better.
So i think it is not worth the time to work on an FS2004 sprites like cloud
system, instead we should make our flightgear 3d clouds better.

But i found something other interesting in FS2004 i want to mention here.
The ATC talk system.

Here is an article that describes how they recorded all those ATC talk:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/fs2004_assembledvoices.asp

Maybe that could be helpfull to create something similar for flightgear.

One question, do we allready have an ATC text file with all the necessary ATC
talk sentences and airport names so that someone who can speak english quite
well can record  them to *.wav files?

I also want to mention, that Microsoft created a small
recording programm that could filter out the problems in the recorded
ATC *.wav files (just read the arcticle then you will know what Problems i
mean).
This programm is available via the FS2004 SDK maybe
it could be very usefull to create our own ATC *.wav files for flightgear.

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.