John Wojnaroski wrote:
> Andy Ross wrote:
> > with an aircraft.  An aircraft held in a level sideslip will turn, for
> > example, due to the side forces caused by the slip, no wing lift need
> > be involved.
>
> Define 'level', if the wings are level, REALLY level, the rudder will
> produce a torgue to turn the nose until the counter-acting moment
> produced by beta is equal and there she'll stay, in a skid, but no
> turning. In fact, as Dave noted, you have to cross control with the
> ailerons to keep the aircraft from banking and turning if you step on
> a rudder.

Everything you say is true.  But none of it means that the aircraft
won't turn, which is all I said.  You can make an aircraft "turn" with
forces that aren't produced by the wings (which should be obvious,
since some aircraft don't have "wings" yet can still turn).  I tried
to be precise, but if you interpreted something else from my text then
I offer my apologies.

> > Aphorisms like "lift causes turns" or "the rudder doesn't turn the
> > aircraft" are training and educations tools; they're true as
> > metaphors, but aren't physical laws.
>
> so what you're saying is ignore the math and EOMs which the last
> time I checked seem to be what aero engineers use to design, build,
> and test based on kinematics and physical forces.

Um, no.  That's certainly not what I said.  In fact, that's almost
exactly the opposite of what I said: simple English statements and
real world physics are different things, and not always 100%
compatible.

Andy