Innis Cunningham wrote:
This is what I dont understand what is wrong with the current system
which can do heading,V/S,wing leveler,vor/loc(nav),approach,and autothrottle
are these not accurate enough?.
Also how much more computing power will be required for what ever extra
detail may be involved.A 3D modeller would not even think of modeling the
insides of the engine or every rivit in the aircraft for the obvious reason that
the model would bring the computer to a halt.I am just wondering if this in
its own way is not doing the same thing.
Anyway the one question I would realy like answered is what is wrong with
the current system.If the answer is nothing then why change.
Famous Saying "if it an't broke don't fix it"

Functionally the current autopilot is ok, but the underlying algorithm is very basic. Also, if you look through the code, it is a big hairy mess. And this was after a rewrite of the original C version.

The problem is that we need to do more with the autopilot than what it's doing right now. For instance I want to be able to hold a specific pitch, or hold a specific speed with pitch. I might also want to hold a target roll rate (like 1 degree/sec) for 20 seconds.

It would be possible to paste this onto the current system, but it's already a big mess of code in there and this will make just make the problem worse.

I understand that "if it aint broke, don't fix it" but if I have to "mess with a mess," I like to clean it up. :-) That's not to say anything negative about the current autopilot contributors. Just that I think the required functionality had long ago outgrown the infrastructure we had setup and so as people have added things, it's become quite a jumble.

Also, we have several people here knowledgable in the field of control theory and people that understand how autopilots are supposed to work. Add that in with someone who (thinks he) understands the internals of FG and I think we have an opportunity to really improve the entire auto pilot infrastructure.

That's where I'm coming from anyway ...

Regards,

Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://www.flightgear.org