On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:39:16 +0100
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerhard Wesp) wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for good resources on flight simulations. For the
aerodynamics and flight dynamics it seems that Stevens, Aircraft Control and Simulation, is (one of) the standard references. Things which
Stevens does not cover but which I need also are the modeling of:

- landing gear/ground reaction
- engines (jet engines in particular)
- propeller
- environmental effects like turbulence

Greetings:

I have heard of the Stevens book but have only glanced at a copy that some friends have. I actually did not find it more useful than some of the other references available.

As far as books go there is one that is a very good introduction to the techniques involved in flight simulation (the math and physics part):

"Physics for Game Developers" by David Bourg, O'Reilly Press, ISBN 0-596-00006-5. You can get this from Amazon.com for less than $20, I think.

For landing gear and ground reactions, go to the JSBSim web site (www.jsbsim.org), click on the "Links" button at left, and browse the links I have placed there - particularly the ones with a highlighted yellow checkbox. You will find an article on landing gear ground reactions.

For propellers, try searching through the NACA archives at naca.larc.nasa.gov. Enter "Propeller" in the search criteria and take a look. We used some NACA reports as well as some information presented in Barne's W. McCormick's textbook, "Aeronautics, Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics".

For turbulence you might try doing a google search on "AIAA turbulence" and you might get some articles on turbulence.

Additionally, I have written some things at the JSBSim web site on our experiences in designing JSBSim which ought to be of help to you, and you could also peruse our source code.

Jon Berndt
Aerospace Engineer
Coordinator,
JSBSim Project