Martin Spott wrote:

As the next step you probably might want to sell your Warrior in favour
of an Archer  :-))

In retrospect, I wish I'd bought an Archer, since the cost of ownership is virtually identical, but there's a bit more power and useful load when you need it. On balance, though C-FBJO has been a good plane. If or when I move up, it will either be something like a Mooney (for speed) or a Cherokee Six (for load), depending on whether it happens after or before my kids leave home. If I ever become wealthy (ha!), it will be a six-seat, turbocharged, pressurized twin with known-ice certification.

BTW - radios ....  I figured out how much money I'd need to spend for
an IFR 'upgrade' after I have the PPL. This is _incredibly_ expensive
in Germany. You'll have to do almost 60 hours !! of training with
instructor (some on a simulator), an IFR equipped aircraft is more
epensive and even the instuctor gets more money for an IFR flight. This
means the IFR 'add-on' costs almost 150 % or the simple PPL.
Is this similar to what you experienced in Canada ?

Most of our training aircraft are already at least minimally IFR equipped (mode C transponder, gyros, nav radio, VOR) -- typically, though, students move up to a four-seater for IFR training since it's a little more stable. You can even train in a non-IFR-certifiable aircraft like the Katana if you want, though, as long the IFR is only simulated using a hood or goggles.

In Canada, you need at least 40 hours IFR time for the rating. You will already have done five of that for your PPL and, normally, another five for the night rating, so figure on 20 hours dual in a 172 at about CAD 160/hour, 10 hours dual in the sim at about CAD 80/hour, and a few hundred more in exam fees, ground school tuition, texts, and ground briefings, for a total just under CAD 5K (less than USD 4K).

All the best,

David