Norman Vine wrote:
> since we are now agnostic as pertains to the lowlevel OpenGL
> initialization routines I don't see why the choice of OpenGL toolkit
> used couldn't just be an option

Uh, that's the whole point.  What would you prefer, if not SDL?  If
you want to write a windows-only implementation, feel free.

The problems with glut are well-documented.  It is no longer
developed, doesn't track changes in the underlying systems (mode
switching has never worked under XFree86, for example), is not free
software, is being dropped by most linux distributions, and is filled
with cruft that we don't use.

Andy