David Megginson wrote

> Andy Ross wrote:
>
> > But the idea behind YASim is to produce plausible results for all
> > possible engines; oil pressure is one of those values that
> is (AFAIK)
> > just too engine-specific.
>
> Further to the point, here is some information from the
> Lycoming O-320
> Operator's manual; it would make a good starting point for
> horizontally-opposed piston engines.
>
> Oil Temperature:
>
>    180 degF desired, 245 degF maximum
>    [down to 160 degF and 210 degF below 10 degF OAT]
>
> Oil Pressure:
>
>    Normal: 90 psi maximum, 60 psi minimum, 25 psi idling
>    Start and warm up: 100 psi maximum
>

> All the best,

The Merlin has a gear-driven oil pump and, I assume, a pressure relief
valve. I was going to assume that oil pressure was a function of rpm with
max and min values.

Of course, it is also a function of oil temperature, which is a function of
engine temperature. We already know egt. Are most of the building blocks in
place already?

If we don't want or need a sophisticated answer, then a function of rpm
would be enough for an instrument, and that can easily be done in XML.

Regards

Vivian