David Luff wrote:

The turbocharged piston engine is a completely different beast from a
turboprop though, I would imagine the latter has more in common with the
turbine model.  OTOH, the Piper Navajo is a GA twin that uses turbocharged
piston engines, that might be a nice one to model.

Lots of GA planes have an option turbocharged (or turbonormalized -- I'm not technie enough to remember the distinction) engines, even relatively low-end ones like the Piper Arrow or the Cessna 182. There are two benefits:

1. it's actually possible to fly on a summer afternoon in the mountains; and

2. you can climb into the middle altitudes (up to 18,000 ft or even into the
   flight levels) to get above weather or turbulence or find more favourable
   winds.

I've never flown a turboprop, but from what I have picked up secondhand, Dave is right -- it has a lot in common with a turbojet. Note, for example, that most piston engines burn 100LL fuel, while turboprops and turbojets both burn Jet-A (some newer European piston engines also burn diesel or Jet-A).

100LL is nearly odorless (it smells a bit like model airplane glue close up); Jet-A smells like diesel when it burns, and is what creates the distinctive odor on the ramp of passenger airports.

All the best,

David