On June 8, 2004 02:20 pm, Durk Talsma wrote:
> Blast, do we have a few millions to buy us another one? :-)
>

> Seriously though, does this always happen at KLGB? I did a quick test there
> yesterday, but couldn't see anything unusual.
Yes, it does.  Sometimes, it stars to sink in less than a minute, while other
times, you need to wait for about ten minutes.

From my observation, this is due to the location of the aft landing gears and
the position of center of gravity.  Then again, it may be related to trimming
issues.  Anyway, to fix the former, all one have to do is move the landing
gear toward the rear in the XML file.  As for the latter, I don't think the
center of gravity is this much toward the back when the plane is on the
ground.  If I recall correctly, MD-11's FMS moves the center of gravity
toward the rear of the plane during liftoff by pumping fuel to the horizontal
stabilizer.  Check out:
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Concourse/7349/gestation.html for more
details.

> One thing I found though, is
> that the MD11 doesn't do ground handling very well yet. ONe day, I need to
> sit down and add a few contact points, because right now you can fly it
> straight trough the earth's crust, without anything happening. Just for a
> bit of fun: Try running the MD11 with idle throttle and zero speed. Now
> raise the gears, and be prepared for a journey to the center of the earth.
I've tried that... it is crazy.
On a serious note, I think FlightGear needs to have a more advance collision
detection system.

Regards,
Ampere