The Hunter and the Mustang has clickable 3d instruments. This is achieved by
including a transparent 2d panel with action hotspots at select locations.
The 2d panel is included in the "top-level" aircraft model xml config file, so
the hotspots become aircraft-model-specific. I suspect that moving a 3d
instrument would require moving the action hotspots as well.

I tried to make the 2d panel with hotspots instrument-model-specific by
including a 2d panel in the instrument model xml config file:

<PropertyList>

 <path>switch.ac</path>

 <params>
  <switch-val>switch/test</switch-val>
 </params>

 <!-- Include a panel with hotspots -->
 <panel>
  <path>Aircraft/king-air-200/Instruments/switch-hotspots.xml</path>
  <!-- It would be nice to include this in-line instead of in a separate file
-->
  <bottom-left>
   <x-m>0</x-m>
   <y-m>-0.005</y-m>
   <z-m>-0.005</z-m>
  </bottom-left>
  <bottom-right>
   <x-m>0</x-m>
   <y-m> 0.005</y-m>
   <z-m>-0.005</z-m>
  </bottom-right>
  <top-left>
   <x-m>0</x-m>
   <y-m>-0.005</y-m>
   <z-m> 0.005</z-m>
  </top-left>
 </panel>

 <animation>
  <type>rotate</type>
  <object-name>Lever</object-name>
  <property alias="../../params/switch-val"/>
  <interpolation>
  </interpolation>
  <axis>
   <x>0</x>
   <y>1</y>
   <z>0</z>
  </axis>
 </animation>

</PropertyList>

The "switch-hotspots.xml" file is a small (10x10) panel with one big
instrument with one big hotspot. This worked as expected. I was also able to
reuse the switch instrument at different locations in the cockpit, as
expected. Is there perhaps a limit to how many 2d panels with hotspots one
can include?

This method adds instrument-specific hotspots to true 3d instruments. It's a
bit ugly but it works and is more reusable than the Hunter and Mustang way of
doing it.

I would also like to redirect you attention to my post:

http://baron.flightgear.org/pipermail/flightgear-devel/2004-May/028549.html

Thanks!
Can anyone confirm that the alias feature can not be used for the 3d animation
code?!

--
Roy Vegard Ovesen