On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 01:37:11AM +0200, Boris Koenig wrote:
> Regarding the GUI, this may be really mainly about adding support for
> skins and defining clickable regions and possibly different states
> of buttons - but I would not be that much in favour of using basic

Yes, and this would not depend whether the FMC in internal or external
to fgfs.

> Most of the internal logics could certainly be very well handled
> using Nasal that then accesses the flight parameters via the
> Property Tree directly. The maths involved for the FMC calculations
> should also be possible to be realized using Nasal, I'd think -
> and then there'd still be the option of adding the more complicated
> stuff as a separate command.

Yeah, Nasal seems to be a way to implement a FMC within flightgear.

> That way the CDU could be implemented using some basic skinning
> mechanism and defining those regions that are "clickable" and where
> Nasal should act and then there would need to be a general control
> for screen output, possibly defining some basics like fonts,
> rows/colums and available colors - as well as possibly some minor
> controls like LEDs to display a status information or anything
> like that.

This is something you'd wanna have in both variants, FMC implemented
inside of fgfs or outside as a standalone program.

Maybe it could be implemted similarly to jsbsim where there is a
standalone version plus a compiled-into-fgfs version...

I guess the person who wirtes the software will ultimately decide.

Or... how about implementing it outside of flightgear at first and then
hooking it in when the code is somewhat stable?

> An approach like the one suggested by Jim would certainly have
> the potential to add many variations of FMCs simply because it
> would be mainly a thing of specifying the appeareance and logics
> using a XML file with some Nasal code.

Nothing that could'nt be done outside of fgfs... :-)

I like the unix philosophy: for every task a seperate program that does
only the one thing its designed for. ( make each program do one thing
well)
I know this is not always appliceable esp. for a flightsimulator, but it
could be a good idea in this case.

Regards,
Manuel