On Tuesday 10 August 2004 10:14, Erik Hofman wrote:
> Chris Metzler wrote:
> > Hi.  I'm just finishing up a set of general-purpose "runway length
> > remaining" signs, along with a python script that will insert them into
> > appropriate .stg files as desired.  I used the FAA Advisory Circulars
> > 150/5340-18C (Standards for Airport Sign Systems) and 150/5345-44
> > (Specification for Taxiway and Runway Signs) for the physical size of
> > the signs, the physical size of the numerals upon them, and for the
> > script's placement of the signs (including checking taxiways and other
> > runways in runways.dat to avoid conflicting placements, adjusting +/-
> > 50 feet as necessary).  This is part of an effort overall to do up
> > KDCA and KSDF, but the signs and accompanying script should be
> > generically applicable, at least in the U.S.
>
> That would be great. I definitely like to see this added to terragear:
> http://www.terragear.org
>
> > I've run into two issues with which I'm hoping folks here can help me.
> > One's a Blender/ac3d materials + texturing problem.  The other deals
> > with the relationship between the parameters in the .stg file, and the
> > actual placement of the object.
> >
> > 1.  When I first tried to make these guys, I applied a black material
> > to the entire sign; then, I took the appropriate white-numeral-on-black
> > texture and UV-mapped it to one face, rotated so that it looks correct
> > from Blender's "front" view.  Everything looked great in Blender,
> > both in the 3D windows (with "textured view" on), and in the rendering
> > window.  Once exported to ac3d and brought into fgfs, though, what I
> > got was a black square.  After lots of tinkering around with the shading
> > numbers for the material by editing the .ac file directly, I found that
> > the only way I could get the numeral to show was by assigning emissivity
> > to the material.  Does this make sense to you?  It sure doesn't to me.
>
> Yo have to apply a _white_ (or nearly white) material to the object
> because that color is the maximum color applied to an object (including
> the texture).
>
> Erik

As Erik (and Vivian in another post) have said, you need to make the base
colour of the polys that make up the signboard a light (white) colour.

How many polys are you using for the signboard?  I'm guessing that you're just
using one and have it double-sided.  I think you'll either have to use two
single-sided rectangles for it and apply appropriate front and back textures
to each of the rectangles or, as the vertex count would be the same as for
two rectangles, you could actually consider using a cube for the board.

LeeE