Hmm...  I've been commenting out the lines after the two you indicate to make
the panel visible in exterior views (with the forward view only) so the
relevant bit from my panel.cxx looks like:

bool
fgPanelVisible ()
{
     if(globals->get_current_panel() == 0)
        return false;
     if(globals->get_current_panel()->getVisibility() == 0)
        return false;
//     if(globals->get_viewmgr()->get_current() != 0)
//      return false;
     if(globals->get_current_view()->getHeadingOffset_deg() *
SGD_DEGREES_TO_RADIANS != 0)
        return false;
    return true;
}

This patch was courtesy of one of the developers after I asked for the
facility.

I use this because I find it useful when developing aircraft.  I've been
meaning to make it configurable via the property tree, and then propose it
for inclusion for ages.

LeeE