Chris Metzler wrote:

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:37:40 -0600
"Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I periodically get asked about multiheaded video cards for FlightGear. My standard answer is that I don't know for sure, but I suspect they wouldn't work well for FlightGear. However, the questions keep coming and I feel like I'm not able to give a really good answer.

So can anyone help me out? For instance, has anyone tried one of these sorts of cards?

   http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parhelia/series.cfm

What kind of opengl support is available under linux?

I haven't used these cards. However, the card I used before the one I have now was the immediate predecessor to the Parahelia, the Matrox Millenium G550. It was equipped for multihead, but I never used it.

What I can tell you, though, is that DRI and OpenGL support for Matrox
cards under Linux sucks rocks.  First of all, Matrox' drivers are open,
and their proprietary HAL module doesn't really buy you anything, so

No real arguments here, but there is useable code for the card in the native X11.

for just a taste. There's a lot more there too. Personally, I had
constant hard lockups requiring a full system reset, with lots of
DMA idle timeout messages to my X log, whenever I tried flightgear
for very long with the Matrox card. From other messages in the Matrox

Sounds like the ASUS (junk!) motherboard I had. My 1GHz athalon on its ASUS
board sits collecting dust (it doesn't even do that very well). The G450 I have is very
robust as is the code. I run Debian Linux without a single lockup in over a year now.

The ASUS with a simple ATI GL card still locks up.  What a waste of silicon!

Dale