Just a quick note as I am catching up on all this:

Arthur Wiebe wrote:
Now FlightGear itself is another story. I had to upgrade automake in
order to run the autogen.sh script successfully.

While I wouldn't consider this to be a very common problem, it would probably not be a bad idea to add a simple version check to the autogen script, something like

        `autoconf --version | grep $REQUIRED_VERSION`

That way one could at least display a remark whenever the autotools
package doesn't match the required version.

But I am really not sure how many other people have had problems because
of the autotools being out dated.

Boris