I finally got it all to build and work!

Curt, you were correct, despite what I said below.  Seems that when I
rebuilt everything, it was not actually everything.  I somehow missed a few
things.  I think that the specific problem was that clouds3d is one
directory deeper than most other things, and I believe that I just did not
clear out the object files, or the library,  that was there before I redid
the build.  So it was trying to link against the version of that one library
that I had built with 2.95.2.

Once I cleared that up, it seems that it all did build as advertised, except
that I did do those couple of patches to plib.  But Arthur says that using
the CVS instead of the download of that will make that problem go away as
well.  I should try that.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.
FlightGear is a great program!

-- Adam