From: Boris Koenig [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 22 November 2004 21:50
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Aircraft directory structure

Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> However, as things stand right now.  We have oodles of references to
> stuff as "../../../Instruments/hsi.xml" etc.  If we move an aircraft
one
> directory level deeper (or more) all those relative references break.
:-(

Well, this is then about relative paths, it could probably already be
solved if one added support for standard paths such as $FG_ROOT.

Which could mean that the path becomes:

$FG_ROOT/Aircraft/Instruments/hsi.xml

I think it would take 5 minutes to add support for -automatically
defined- environment variables such as:

        - $FG_AIRCRAFT
        - $FG_INSTRUMENTS

These could all be based on a properly set $FG_ROOT, that way one could
simply refer to:

        "$FG_AIRCRAFTS/c172/c172-set.xml"

or

        "$FG_INSTRUMENTS/hsi.xml"

Dealing with such path specifications would mainly come down to looking
for an initial '$' sign and stripping of everything behind the first
slash in order to determine the real path.

> I'm calling for someone to take on the task of making aircraft more
> relocatable.

If you are mainly thinking about the above problem and my suggestion
for a solution is already sufficient, I wouldn't mind to send Erik
a corresponding patch.

---------
Boris