On November 28, 2004 09:34 pm, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> I can think of 4 approaches to defining taxiways and lines.
> <snip>

In 3D Studio, there is an option to do face mapping, which allows the user to
do something like the followings very easily.
http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs233144/sample1.jpg
http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs233144/sample2.jpg

The texture consists of one 32X32 bmp file.  As far as I can tell, each
polygon is being treated individually, and the UV map is distorted and
orientated to match the shape of the polygon.  This method allows the center
line to remain center no matter how the taxiway twisted and change in width.
Perhaps we can do the same in FlightGear?  If plib supports 3ds format as
well as it should, it will just be a matter of finding the right function in
plib to do the job.

As for runway/taxiway intersections and taxiway/taxiway intersections, we can
use method 4 for these and only these areas.