On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:10:26 +0100, Gerhard wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 04:21:22PM +0100, Erik Hofman wrote:
> > Does it need to be something you have laying around, and what price
> > is acceptable?
>
> No, nothing lying around.  A couple of k$.  Let's say up to $5k for
> host+ GPU, to start with.

..a 2 or 4 way 64bit AMD with a recent PCI-Express nVidea card?

..another option is buy several boxes and set up a cluster.

..also keep in mind graphic cards can carry the bulk of the work,
a typical recent card doing math can do about 50 GFLOPS where
tyical recent CPU's does 6 GFLOPS, according to at gpgpu.org:
http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~jowens/talks/owens-hpec04-gpgpu.pdf

..note how they waaail after a killer app.  ;-)

..today I ordered a Sapphire Radeon 9250, 128MB DDR, 128bit AGP,
which I understand is as hot as ~100US$ will buy for 1xAGP mo'bo's
with open source drivers, later ATI's are also closed source just like
nVidia.  Looking at the hardware spec's, and Microsoft's policy on
DirectX9, chanses are nVidea could be coerced into reconsidering
their closed-sourceness, their hardware is sexier than ATI's.

..I also found _nobody_ publishes OpenGL etc FG-relevant benchmarks
that I could make sense of, so I wound up with the cheap AGP stuff, and
went with what looked best on paper, and will advice here whatever that
means in terms of FG fps.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: