Paul Surgeon wrote:

I'm surprised someone else hasn't commented on this yet.
Losing DAFIF access will be a pretty big blow to X-Plane and FlightGear.
The DAFIF data is the primary source of global airports and navaid data that we use in FlightGear.

It is not the only source of info but it is the primary source. The other sources are just little bits and pieces - nothing on a global scale like DAFIF.
So we are now esentially stuck with a dataset that is going to age and get inaccurate as time goes on and things are updated and changed in the real world. Frequencies, new navaid equipment, etc.

FlightGear has used the Peel database for quite some time (always?) and just recently (one or two years ago) Robin started to use DAFIF. Prior to that we only had data contributed by volunteers. Now we have a better base to start with and can start contributing the changes again.

This used to be done mainly by X-Plane users, but now FlightGear users can join in.

Erik