Dave, you can check out the animation file (specifically: engine animation)
for the MD11 if you want to learn how to set different LOD's.

Curt, as I was working on the MD11, I get a feeling that FlightGear is loading
every single polygon into the scene graph.  Is my feeling correct?  If so,
does that mean not implementing LOD's may actually consume less resources?

Ampere